Post By RelatedRelated Post
Reported by Kacie Whaley
Kevin Clash, the actor who played lovable, red monster Elmo on the beloved children’s program “Sesame Street,” is off the hook from accusations of child sëx abuse.
On Thursday, U.S. District Judge Christopher Conner of Philadelphia dismissed the 53-year-old’s case on the basis that the lawsuit had not been filed before the statue of limitations expired, according to Reuters.
The lawsuit was filed last year by 25-year-old Sheldon Stephens. The young man claimed that Clash had started sëxually abusing him in 2004, when he was 16. Judge Conner said the accuser failed to file the suit by age 19 under New York law, which is where the abuse took place.
This is not the first time that the actor had been accused of such a crime. Three other men filed lawsuits against Clash claiming that he sëxually abused them as children. Those lawsuits were also dismissed by a New York judge because the statute of limitations had run out.
Amid last year’s lawsuit, Clash resigned from his job on “Sesame Street,” which he held for 28 years.
“We believe we are finally at the point as a team where we can begin to turn our full attention to restoring Kevin’s personal and professional reputation over the coming weeks and months so he may regain his rightful place as an accomplished and respected artist,” said his spokesman Nicholas Peters.
Clash’s lawyer, Michael Berger commented that “Clash can now move forward with his life.”