Post By RelatedRelated Post
by Marie Seva
Mekhi Phifer is a versatile actor known for starring in the dramatic film written by Scott Silver, 8 Mile, the Fox crime series, Lie to Me, and the BBC series, Torchwood: Miracle Day. Here are a few more facts about the versatile actor:
1. It was in Harlem, New York City, that Phifer was born in December, 1974. He was brought up by his mother, Rhoda Phifer, who was a high school teacher (He never saw his father.). He is very proud and grateful to his mother for having taught him not to fritter his life away. She made sure Phifer let sleeping dogs lie on the streets and not waste his energies on useless street activities.
2. Phifer practically had no experience when he came to audition for a part in director Spike Lee‘s film, Clockers. After walking some 40 blocks for a snapshot at a Woolworth’s photo booth that he needed for the audition, competing against 1,000 other applicants and being asked to come back about ten times, he was the lucky one to have landed the lead role of Ronald ‘Strike’ Dunham. He played the role magnificently and this opened the doors to more opportunities for advancement in his career.
3. Among the other projects he got into was the comedy film, High School High, which was released in 1996 (His first wife, Malinda Williams, also played a part in the film.). He also starred in the suspense film, I Still Know What You Did Last Summer, sequel to I Know What You Did Last Summer. Here he had co-starred with Jennifer Love Hewitt and Freddie Prinze, Jr.
4. He had been part of the long-running medical drama series, ER, from April 2002 until September 2008. He played as Dr. Gregory Pratt, a brilliant but arrogant intern. For this he got two nominations for an award from the NAACP.
5. In the lyrics of the Academy and Grammy Award winning song from Eminem, Lose Yourself, Phifer’s name was mentioned.
6. Phifer walked the aisle twice. First was with his co-star in High School High, Malinda Williams, with whom he has a son, Omikaye. He has a second son, Mekhi Thira Phifer Jr., and this was with Oni Souratha. He then again exchanged marital vows with long time girlfriend Reshelet Barnes, on an Easter Sunday in 2013 at the Montage Hotel in Beverly Hills, California.
7. Spending about $11,600 while earning only $7,500 a month, Phifer was doomed to go bankrupt. And in April 2014, Phifer filed for bankruptcy. His liabilities listed as: $1.2 million in taxes, $50,000 in legal fees and $4,500 in child support.
8. Phifer is involved in a program which provides educational benefits to students. He is the chairman of the board of trustees of The Vine Group USA, a non-profit organization, aimed at providing scholarship grants, student financial aid, and support for educational institutions.
9. Phifer won the 2004 Celebrity Poker Showdown Championship, the fourth season, over Neil Patrick Harris. Phifer also participates on the Hollywood Home games of The World Poker Tour for the Love Our Children USA charity. Phifer joined forces with the WTP in 2009 to raise funds for The Vine Group USA.
10. Also a man for business, Phifer is the owner of six Athlete’s Foot franchises, located in California.