Dear Academia: Stop Telling Me that Black Boys Are Not Important

by Dr. Boyce Watkins

This week, I sat on a Congressional Black Caucus panel for the Janks Morton film “Hoodwinked,” starring myself, along with Marc Lamont Hill, Jawanza Kunjufu, Steve Perry and Ivory Toldson.   One of the men on the panel was Dr. Bryant Marks of Morehouse College, a highly-respected scholar who focuses on the success of African American males in his research.

Professor Marks and I had a brief conversation before the panel about the state of black males in America.   One of the other parties to the conversation was John Wilson, the head of President Obama’s initiative on HBCUs. John is a likeable person, and it is my greatest hope that all he said about the president’s commitment to HBCUs was real talk and not just political spin.  Others, such as Professor Darrell Issa, who claims he might be sent to prison by Joe Biden’s son for a peaceful protest at Delaware State, seem to have concerns about the future of our Historically Black Colleges and Universities.

I envy Dr. Marks, for he has the great honor of educating black men at the greatest generator of black male achievement in the history of the United States.  Morehouse College is second-to-none when it comes to helping our men stake claim to their greatness, humanity and personal power.  You can always tell a Morehouse man when you see one, for he has been built to be a special breed.  Unlike many black students at predominantly white institutions, the Morehouse man is not made to believe that he has to overcome second-class citizenship in order to be respected as a human being.   In many cases, he is built for leadership.

After speaking about my visit to Morehouse that we’ve planned for October 8th, Dr. Marks and I also talked about the fact that many black scholars feel that they almost have to apologize for doing research that focuses on black men.  At white universities, you are typically told that this kind of work is not of significant scholarly importance or that you’re being too narrowly focused in a world that seems determined to believe that is has become sufficiently post-racial.   Black men have the highest unemployment, incarceration and homicide rates in the nation, and we are expected to act as if everything is normal.  To hell with that….our families cannot survive if our future heads of households are having their futures murdered in broad daylight.

One of the reasons I fought so much with my colleagues at Syracuse University is because I was told that my advocacy for black men made me something less of a legitimate scholar than my colleagues.  If I was on CNN talking about black males, there would be no mention of it, even though my colleagues would get accolades for appearing in the local news.  Of course it was easy to ignore the criticism, since I was trained by some of the best scholars in the world in my field and determined to bring my expertise back to my community.  Also, the fact that my business school has not tenured one single black finance professor in over 100 years of existence speaks to the awesome wall of blinding racial inequality that had been built over several decades.  In other words, racism makes people stupid.

Dr. Marks and I came to the same conclusion when it comes to studying black men:  Our boys and men are important and we don’t have to apologize for a damn thing.  We are the husbands, fathers and leaders of our community, and it is critical that we do all we can as scholars to build and equip as many black intellectual warriors as we possibly can.  I see brilliant black men in all walks of life, who’ve been convinced that their intelligence should be used to bust rhymes, throw a football or convert grams to ounces.  So, our unharnessed power is everywhere, and all black parents, scholars and mentors are called to the front lines in the battle to save our children.

Also, black women are a critical part of this fight as well.  Mothers are often the first teachers of a child, and also a woman’s ability to find an adequate husband is largely determined by whether we raise our boys to be responsible men or a pack of reckless “baby daddies.”  As Frederick Douglass once said, “It’s easier to build strong boys than to repair broken men.” So, the protection of our cultural ecosystem is highly contingent upon all of us being committed to raising our children to be strong, responsible, intelligent and productive.  We are all in this game together.

Dr. Boyce Watkins is a Professor at Syracuse University and founder of the Your Black World Coalition. He also appears in the Janks Morton film “Hoodwinked.” To have Dr. Boyce commentary delivered to your email, please click here.

36 Responses to Dear Academia: Stop Telling Me that Black Boys Are Not Important

1. ProBlackLikeTar October 21, 2012 at 8:23 pm

It’s okay to use your knowledge to “bust rhymes” as long as the “rhymes” are positive and built off of knowledge. XD like all Hip-Hop is prostitution, cars, stripping, or robbing our black women of respect XD come on, g.

2. ProBlackLikeTar October 21, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Oh yeah..and you not black…”nigga”.

3. Pingback: Dear Academia: Stop Telling Me that Black Boys Are Not Important | Black Like Moi « Habari Gani, America!

4. ordinary brotha March 7, 2013 at 5:46 pm

We keep spinnining around about the state of Black males and we keep coming up with dilemmas after dilemmas. What appears to me as the problem, is the lack of Black Ownership. We have no commerce, and without it we have no political or economical clout. Those who do have their “inalienable rights.” They are not complaining about the atrocities that Black Men face on the daily. What concerns me is that we constantly advocate for educated brothers, but we get them we are stuck into giving our expertise to those who minmize our genious while profiting greatly.

While I agree that education is vital. I also believe that education should be a spiritual, intelligent and economical liberator for our people. It behooves me seeing all of these highly intelligent and educated Black People committed to making other communities richer for pennies of their dollars. The measure of true education is the ability to be self-sufficient and self-sustaining. Our professors should be modeling and teaching our young men and women. Dr. Boyce I do not know why you are not teaching at a HBUC, you are always pontificating about sharing your insight and wisdom to your people, well?

5. coupons April 12, 2013 at 7:16 pm

I do accept as true with all the ideas you’ve offered for your post. They are really convincing and will certainly work. Still, the posts are too brief for newbies. Could you please prolong them a bit from next time? Thank you for the post.

6. Online marketing approach May 11, 2013 at 3:56 am

I’ve been exploring for a bit for any high-quality articles or blog posts in this sort of space . Exploring in Yahoo I finally stumbled upon this website. Reading this info So i am happy to express that I have an incredibly good uncanny feeling I came upon exactly what I needed. I so much surely will make certain to do not forget this web site and provides it a look regularly.

7. pay day loan May 21, 2013 at 4:57 pm

kneubrmf wwwvtjgwd vwlfkiu rebhlcjjgbd vvjtozwx krayvuie

8. Marlon July 2, 2013 at 5:04 pm

It’s genuinely very complex in this active life to listen news on TV, therefore I just use internet for that purpose, and get the hottest information.

9. website July 26, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Greetings! Very useful advice within this post!
    It’s the little changes that make the most significant changes. Thanks a lot for sharing!

10. overstock coupons July 29, 2013 at 5:50 pm

As it is easier than to run a shop in the market-place to
    run a personal online shop that to some shop which offers you every thing underneath the sun that are available online retailers give year-long savings.
    Also these online stores like Overstock.com give particular
    discount such as overstock promotion code for promotional
    and publicity function. Although a geniune Overstock promotion is difficult to
    find but after you get hold of it be sure to be surprised.

Overstock Coupon is of very good use, because it has increased the novelty of on line buying
    by many times among the mind of people. It has also many choosing
    things which increase its need. Various kinds discount
    requirements are there Free Ship Coupon Code, namely Money Saver Coupon Code and several more; all are used for different purposes.

Today these rules are being sold out to do business. This
    is even comfortable for that consumers because they are now free from the risk of marketing using a
    large amount of cash. Also some recharge websites and websites have started the Overstock Coupon system.

They provide strategies like on a re-charge of Rs.
    10 just one will get two decades concession on looking for
    Rs 999 and above. Through the use of these schemes,
    even the small-scale web sites are increasing their sales. A margin has been fixed by many shopping
    sites such that shopping beyond that certain amount could
    bear no delivery cost. Online coupons are now
    available even to reduce the shipping charge.

11. Pingback: Black American Men and Feminism - Christian Forums

12. web page August 7, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Excellent blog here! Also your site so much up very fast!
    What web host are you using? Can I am getting your associate hyperlink to your host?
    I wish my website loaded up as quickly as yours lol

13. Nice blog here! Also your web site loads up fast!
    What host are you using? Can I get your affiliate link to your
    host? I wish my web site loaded up as quickly as yours lol

14. sears appliances promo code August 31, 2013 at 11:00 pm

Attractive component to content. I simply stumbled {on|on} your web page and in accession capital to say that I acquire

15. ข้อมูล September 17, 2013 at 10:53 am

Hi! I just want to give you a huge thumbs up for the great info you have got here on this post.

I will be coming back to your site for more soon.

16. Insomemaze November 15, 2013 at 9:35 am

There is an important Video that every BlackMan and Boy should see, it’s entitled the The BlackMan(State of Emergency)on Youtube. Very Powerful!

17. Www.Cruisingworld.Com March 28, 2014 at 8:06 am

The FIFA Women’s World Cup 2011 is quickly coming. It
    will be the sixth instance of the FIFA Women’s World Cup, the quadrennial international women’s football world championship tournament.
    This calendar year, it has been schedule to just take spot between 26
    June and 17 July in Germany, the nation received the proper to host the event in
    October 2007. It looks that the German Women’s National Soccer group which signifies Germany in intercontinental women’s soccer establishes on attaining the
    notable cup. These days, players of the German group have warmed up for
    many education classes.