Wahida Clark made her money and found her success the hard way.   As a wife and mother, she ended up going to prison for money laundering and mail fraud.  RollingOut.com tells the story of how Wahida had to leave her daughters for 91/2 years to go to federal prison, along with her husband.  Relatives took care of the kids while they were away.

After having all of her possessions taken and her cars repossessed, Wahida discusses a “light bulb” moment she had in prison that led her to change her life.

Wahida Clark doesn’t have any regrets. The wife and mother was living in Decatur, Ga., a suburb east of Atlanta, when she was found guilty of money laundering and mail fraud.

The Trenton, NJ, native moved south to create a better life and to be closer to her husband, who was serving time in the Atlanta Federal Penitentiary, after he described the city to her as “…up and coming, the Black Mecca.”

A top salesperson working in Corporate America, Clark’s world suddenly turned upside down. She went from finishing her basement in her brand new home to an inmate working in a law library, nearly 400 miles from her baby girls.

“I served 9 ½ years in federal prison but I wouldn’t change one second. If I did, I wouldn’t be sitting here talking to you right now,” Clark opens up. “The hardest part was being away from daughters. My husband was incarcerated and luckily I had family members who came up to the plate and took care of them.”

While incarcerated, Clark started to build what she calls a “foundation” and what Wall Street would call a “business empire” and historians, a “dynasty.”

“One day, I called home requesting some money and a relative shared with me, ‘your house is in foreclosure, and your cars are repossessed. No one is able to run your businesses so we are packing your belongings and moving them home to New Jersey.’ It was my wake up call.”

Wahida Clark with her daughter Wahida

After reading through a popular hip-hop magazine, she noticed an article about an inmate who’d written a book. “I was sitting [in the library] and envisioned my name on the spine of a book; it was my light-bulb moment.”

That “moment” has flourished in to nearly five years of working nonstop since her release from prison in December 2007.  “I had to take care of my children; I needed to set up a foundation when I came from behind the prison walls. I didn’t know I could write. Once you put something in your mind to do something, the universe works with you,” she shares.

SOURCE

25 Responses to Go Head Girl! Mom Spends 10 Years in Prison, then Builds Multi-Million Dollar Empire

1. madpoet May 14, 2012 at 11:09 am

Wow Jessie, that’s all you have to say is about her wig huh? Unless You have multi millions, shut the f$ck up and try to intake the positive of her story! Your probably like the typical negative person who can only find some bad to say about anything. I mean, if your making negative posts at 2am that tells a lot about your character! Get a life and do something positive to impact society.

2. blkgold May 14, 2012 at 11:31 am

what does she do? what is her profession? who wrote this article??

• Erica May 14, 2012 at 11:42 pm

THANK YOU!…

3. CT May 14, 2012 at 1:19 pm

@ blkgold – Wahida is an awesome urban fiction writer.

4. Ken Bright May 14, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Madpoet! that was right on time, straight out of the gate, he talks garbage. He obviously has a mental problem-to go in that direction instead of the Right. So Sad Hater! Crabs in the barrel, kick him to the bottom, don’t deserve to climb out. Peace!

5. sasha May 14, 2012 at 4:09 pm

@ Jesse and she is still richer than you! LOL Loser!

6. marilennia alnatas May 14, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Very encouraging story.

7. The Motown Sound! May 15, 2012 at 9:53 am

@blkgold & Erica—-yes the story could have been better written, but it does say SHE IS A WRITER!!!

Here is her website…..also try googling her name! Use some imagination people!!

8. MXL May 16, 2012 at 7:59 pm

So how many of the people reading and applauding this are the same folks who talk bad about rappers living lives of crime and then making millions with stories about crime? I’m hoping none of you, ’cause that would make you a total hypocrite.

Anyway, kudos to Ms. Clark for turning a negative situation into a positive one.

• Brian June 30, 2012 at 2:55 am

Apples and oranges

9. wealthylady June 22, 2012 at 5:44 pm

I applaud her for turning things around. Keep in mind this is the exception, not the rule. Young ppl don’t waste one day on the negative. Those 10 years are lost forever!

10. WizardG June 29, 2012 at 9:42 pm

For every story of glory for a black person, there are millions of stories of sadness, pain, and loss! We tend to only see those things which we can bear, and dismiss many truths which are too painful and virtually ‘unbelievable’ to contemplate! Many of us still thrive in make-believe fantasy worlds, laced with frivolous flaky dis/misinformation and flawed beliefs. People can still live well in their own fantasy worlds but to what good? What good is wealth and success if your mind is skewered with mixed up notions, opinions, and beliefs? What good is success if your success is not used to help create a better path for the children? What good to teach the children if the teachings are based on fiction, fantasy, lies, and deception? What success will be good for a new generation of slave minds and bodies contaminated with toxins?
    This story about a woman going to prison and writing books is not uplifting when you think of the people who cannot read and write or when you realize that for money, many are trying to write some kind of insignificant book! We are not unified and our children are not going to do well with what we have to leave them!

• Brian June 30, 2012 at 3:02 am

While you have a valid point, there is merit to using what god gave you to create a better world for your family and yourself! We are not alone in our building on false information, the majority of the world holds white culture as the epitome of civilization.

I too wait for the day we throw off the shackles of mental slavery

11. Tenisha Edwards June 30, 2012 at 8:42 am

I love all of her books! Wishing her many more blessings

12. Me June 30, 2012 at 11:53 am

This really could have been a great story. It leaves out the details that people want to know. I am not sure how these people are picked to be writers but I think I need to apply. To “the Motown Sound”-we should not have to use our imagination on an article like this-if the writer just followed the who, when, what, where, and how basis of writing we would have the information expected when we read the headlines. I am not criticizing, but let’s call a spade a spade.

13. Rob June 30, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Positive news is so important for the masses, to bad not many young people will read this. Everyone here should share this with at least three teens be apart of the solution!!!!!! Teaching at risk youth (K-12) under NCLB, “well guess who is still being left behind” has changed my life sad thing is who cares? I DO!!!!!
    So i will continue to read and share these articles with my students your help is needed.

14. Darian Hunter July 1, 2012 at 11:50 pm

I’m with the Brotha MXL. It’s good to hear of others that have been through the same and succeeded. I’m on my mission now. ~ Independent Kingz Entertainment ~ (COMING SOON http://www.independentkinzentertainment.com).

15. Vee July 3, 2012 at 7:43 pm

I agree with most of the post here. Worst article I’ve seen written for quite some time. While I applaud the woman for creating a multi million dollar business, I don’t want to have to investigate further (I.e, google Search or use my imagination) to figure out what her light-bulb moment was that got her there.