How To Handle Rude Natural Hair Comments

Rude comments are one of the many things us naturals have to deal with concerning our hair. I made a video recently entitled, “Stuff People Say to Natural Girls and Behind Their Backs” to laugh at some of the ignorant comments we often hear on a daily basis but what do you do when you are directly faced with an insult? Here are 4 tips courtesy of Natural Chelsea on how to deal with rude comments about your natural hair. Full Article Here.

10 Responses to How To Handle Rude Natural Hair Comments

1. Linda M. Ballard March 6, 2012 at 12:11 am

Sorry young ladies, I coming from the FLIP SIDE OF THE CHART. I am a cancer survivor. The most important thing is your LIFE not your hair. VIP(VANITY, IMAGE, and PRIDE) will not help you survive your adversity. Gear up! Visit http://nldrecognition.wordpress.com. Read my latest poem, THIS IS A WOMAN DECISION. Continue to read and learn more. Also read my TRIBUTE to WHITNEY HOUSTON and WHERE IS YOUR SENSE OF NORMAL? Visit http://nldrecognition.wordpress.com. NLD Mom/cancer survivor.

2. Pastori Balele March 6, 2012 at 4:55 am

The current Verizon commercial is disturbing. It features a black boy calling a white girl “boss.” That’s gives Black kids inferiority complex. Specifically, black kids may assume that white kids are superior to black kids. This ad is offensive to black kids. I am asking Verizon to pull out the commercial.

3. Milagros March 7, 2012 at 7:23 pm

i put my nhead up in the air shake my beau..tiful locs and step! moving my mighty hips as i do so with out the neck rollin..lol As for Afrikan children feeling less than? Charity begins at home..and spreads abroad.

Gracias

4. Pastori Balele March 7, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Truth is – I love women with natural hair. They are usually very clean and smell good. I have seen women with those plastic hair or wigs and they stink unbearably. I think they put chemicals to relax it. You can smell their hair 10 feet away. What would happen if they were in bed with you? You would certainly choke. Please, women of all colors and creed, stick to your natural hair. It’s beautiful already as it is.

5. Ruby Shivers March 8, 2012 at 10:42 am

This is a major problem with our black girls/women. I am a substitute teacher and a majority of the confrontations between kids come from teasing about ‘nappy hair’ and ‘black skin’.
    We must not just ignore this ‘problem’ but find an honest, universal way of convincing our children and self about the true beauty of natural hair and Black skin. The reason our hair has been stigmatized in the first place. My ’5-minutes’ of Black history with my students is:
    “There is no such thing as nappy hair – only 3 types: 1. Straight; slightly curled and tightly curled. I also educate them that the same people who coined the “N” word are the same people who coined the word “nappy” hair. They soon get the message.

6. Elizabeth March 14, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Black women are their own enemy. You call your girls names, black, nappy headed, ugly, mean etc. Our boys hear this so naturally they look to the white girls. They hear you say about white girls, cute, good hair, nice etc.

Until we change and embrace our girls and each other, we will forever be the ‘Ugly” duckling of females.

Tell your girls they are smart, pretty, nice and intelligent they are daily. Encourage your boys to date a black girl. Black girls get asked for s*x, but they never get asked out on a nice date or to a ball game or prom as in the past. I blame the black parent…

Don’t you want your son to date and marry a girl who looks like their mom or grandmother?

7. Egypt January 26, 2013 at 6:23 pm

@ELIZABETH…STOP SAYING BLACK WOMEN ARE THEIR WORST ENEMY BECAUSE YOU ARE STEREOTYPING. THERE ARE PLENTY OF US WHO SAY KIND THINGS TO ONE ANOTHER. MY FRIENDS AND I ARE ALWAYS SENDING POSITIVE MESSAGES ABOUT OUR HAIR AND SKIN. SO PLEASE STOP!

8. Egypt January 26, 2013 at 6:31 pm

ELIZABETH, DO YOU REALLY THINK LIFE IS THAT SIMPLE? DO YOU REALLY THINK THAT BLACK PARENTS ARE NOT TELLING THEIR SONS TO RESPECT AND LOVE BLACK GIRLS. OF COURSE THEY ARE! WE LIVE IN A SOCIETY THAT IS PREDOMINATELY WHITE, SO NO MATTER WHAT GOES ON IN THE HOUSEHOLD, YOUR CHILD STILL HAS TO STEP FOOT OUT IN A WHITE WORLD. NOW, YES I THINK IT STARTS AT HOME, BUT THAT IS NOT ENOUGH. WHITE PEOPLE NEED TO START EDUCATING THEIR CHILDREN AND INFORMING THEM ABOUT THE MANY RACES AND CULTURES IN THIS COUNTRY. WE NEED TO DEMAND RESPECT AND FIGHT BACK ON RACISM. WE NEED TO STOP ACTING LIKE RACISM DOES NOT EXIST AND THAT IT FALLS SOLELY ON BLACKS. WE NEED TO STOP POINTING THE FINGER AT EACH OTHER ELIZABETH. THERE ARE SOME BLACKS WHO ARE IGNORANT BUT THERE ARE PLENTY OF BLACKS HOW ARE INTELLIGENT AND RESPECTFUL TOWARDS THEIR OWN RACE.

9. Faith March 5, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Egypt I do not think that Elizabeth meant all she was just stating from her view that as a people some of us do not respect each other. Funny, I live in Austin Tx and when I see a black women especially I look to speak but on many occasions the person will not even make eye contact with me. I feel living in an area were we are a small number that speaking to one another only makes sense. Maybe I am wrong but that is how I feel. As black people we should treat each other better therefore translating into better adults for our children. I guess as a black person I expect more from us towards one another than I do from whites. I have always felt this way and I guess I always will. We are in this struggle for respect, equality and so on together not the other way around. It’s like that old adage ” charity begins at home” we’ll for me charity begins with us first. Lets “disagree without being disagreeable.”

10. Raneka Stevens August 4, 2013 at 4:24 pm

First and foremost I love this site and it sucks that we still have to deal with these issues in the world we live in today. While im here I would also like to share this video I found online for an easy to do avocado hair mask that has worked for me.

Hope this helps ladies!!!