10 Facts You May Not Know about the TV Show, “Good Times”

Good Times was that show that all of us knew better than we know our own relatives.  Most of us can sing the theme song even without knowing all the words, and if I were to walk into a room and say the words “d**n, d**n, d**n!” you would know EXACTLY what scene I was talking about.

But here is a short list of interesting tidbits about the show that you may not know.  We are not sharing this information with you for any reason other than the fact that it’s interesting.  The most notable fact is that the show didn’t start doing poorly until JJ stopped acting like a complete buffoon.  Here’s the rundown….feel free to add your own Good Times-related information to the comment section below:

1) Florida Evans (Esther Rolle) was much older than James Evans (John Amos):  Florida was born in 1920 and James was born in 1939.  So, when show began in 1974, Florida was already 54 years old, married to a 35-year old husband.

2) JJ was an old man too:  JJ, played by Jimmie Walker, was born in 1947, only 8 years later than James.  He was certainly no teenager on the show, being 27-years old when the show released its debut.

3) Willona (played by Ja’net Dubois) was only 2 years older than JJ.  They could have dated each other.

4) Esther Rolle was consistently annoyed that even though the show was created around her, a comedian (Jimmie Walker) was getting all of the attention.

5) The show was created by Michael Evans, who also played Lionel Jefferson on another show you might have heard of.  He based the show on his own childhood.

6) The show was a spinoff of another show, called “Maude,” where Florida was a maid.  They changed the name of her husband in the spinoff.

7) Jay Leno appeared on the show in an episode about STDs, one of the first in the history of television.

8) In her indignation over JJ’s role, Esther said:   “He’s eighteen and he doesn’t work. He can’t read or write. He doesn’t think. The show didn’t start out to be that…Little by little—with the help of the artist, I suppose, because they couldn’t do that to me—they have made J.J. more stupid and enlarged the role. Negative images have been slipped in on us through the character of the oldest child.”

9) When John Amos left the show after failed contract negotiations, he said this about JJ’s character: “The writers would prefer to put a chicken hat on J.J. and have him prance around saying “DY-NO-MITE”, and that way they could waste a few minutes and not have to write meaningful dialogue.”

10) Esther Rolle was convinced to come back during the last season under three conditions:  They would write out the character that she ran off and married after James’ death (since she didn’t think Florida would move on so quickly), they would give her a raise in salary, and JJ would  have more respectable, intelligent roll. Oddly enough, that’s when the show started to tank in the ratings.

Come on people, we’ve got to do better.

In case you don’t know all the lyrics, we pulled them together for you:

GOOD TIMES!
Any time you need a payment!
GOOD TIMES!
Any time you need a friend!
GOOD TIMES!
Any time you’re out from under!
Not gettin’ hassled, not getting hustled!
Keeping your head above water!
Making a way when you can!
Temporary lay-offs!
GOOD TIMES!
Easy Credit rip-offs!
GOOD TIMES!
Scratchin’ and Survivin’
GOOD TIMES!
Hangin’ in a chow line!
GOOD TIMES!
Ain’t we lucky we got ‘em?
GOOD TIMES!!!

272 Responses to 10 Facts You May Not Know about the TV Show, “Good Times”

1. Celsa Kemerer November 22, 2013 at 10:22 pm

I savor, cause I found just what I used to
    be having a look for. You’ve ended my four day long hunt!
    God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye

2. used car for sale Newcastle December 8, 2013 at 10:26 am

I don’t even understand how I finished up right here, but I thought this submit used to be
    great. I do not recognize who you’re but definitely you’re going to a well-known blogger
    if you are not already. Cheers!

3. Terry Johnson December 9, 2013 at 4:15 am

I loved Good Times. My favorite episode is when
    JJ gets shot and James goes to court to make sure the guy pays for what he did and he has what I believe are pretzels or maybe pencils and cracks them to make it sound like he is breaking dudes legs…priceless!! Also when Janet Jackson, Mizz Jackson if ya nasty, came on the scene and tootie’s ( Kim Fields) momma Chip was beating her…I wanted to hit her in the mouth!

4. kahlil December 11, 2013 at 12:05 am

Ralph Carter aka Michael Evans is politcally conscious in real life just like the show.He has multiple degrees in African Studies and extremely well rounded in global affairs.

5. Pingback: Angry Ward Wednesday: Start Spreadin the News... New York Teams Suck

6. Omar Johnson January 9, 2014 at 9:47 pm

Anybody know the name of the song when JJ and Thelma were
    Dancing. When Thelma got a job

7. Rob J January 12, 2014 at 2:36 am

One of my favoite shows! And it is hanging in a chow line. That comes from one of the cast members thelma, she was on life after. Very good story.

8. Lynn February 13, 2014 at 3:17 pm

I see this show as an unfortunate start of decline for black people. Prior to this show, black people/characters walked, talked and acted like everyone else. JJ’s character began to walk, talk and act different and it became associated with acting “black” creating a Hollywood stereotype that is still portrayed today. When you watch the show, the other characters (parents and siblings) did not speak with any dialect. In all countries and all races people are judged by their ability to speak the native language correctly. Incorrect grammar/words will hold people back, as will some accents (watch “My Fair Lady”). I would like to see people hold themselves to a higher level of accountability in language and behavior as that is what will truly open doors. We need to reject what is holding people back, and stop pretending it isn’t so. Interesting to see that the parents in the show were also bothered by this (items 8, 9 and 10 above). Accountability: we will be treated as lowly as we act.

9. Allen Jerkins February 25, 2014 at 2:24 pm

I’m a 39 year old white male, and “Good Times” was one of my favorite shows as a kid. And yes, I too had a little crush on Thelma. It’s only as I’ve gotten older that I’ve understood some of the more weighty social issues that the show tackled, both directly and indirectly.
    I can say this- when you ask me to name a TV dad, the first one I think of is Andy Taylor (“The Andy Griffith Show”). But ask me to name a TV mom, and Florida Evans will probably come to mind first. Great acting from both her and John Amos.

10. designer candle holders March 1, 2014 at 5:35 pm

Wow, this paragraph is nice, my sister is analyzing such things, so I am going to convey
    her.

Look at my blog; designer candle holders

11. Korean March 8, 2014 at 1:01 pm

Love goodtimes still do and always will

12. Korean March 8, 2014 at 1:09 pm

I love goodtimes I’d give anything to go back to the 70′s I hate it now all these reality shows with African Americans fighting cursing among each other pure ignorance in the 70′s there was a sense of unity and coming together they had to stop that can’t have blacks being to strong the men wareing their pants down round their ankles the women angry looking like s***s I hate how it is now in the 70′s there was brother and sister hood unity now it’s a shame just listen to the garage on the radio none of the music now compares to the temptations Marvin gaye smokey Robinson e.t.c

13. Dontrell Laxton March 18, 2014 at 1:28 am

f**k all the characters except JJ. Esther rolle is too d**n old to be jealous and wilona is a golddigger and Micheal and Thelma never positively supported JJ with s**t.

14. treatment for hpv warts March 28, 2014 at 3:26 am

Gerry Restrivera shares knowledge entertaining expert articles concerned with an array of classes among them Hpv warts Removal- Eradicate Plantar Genital warts for a good.
    You are eligible to post this post of their whole on condition that
    publisher’s word, biography combined with homepage referrals ought to vacation
    complete along with added with virtually every fake.

15. Clarice Smith April 7, 2014 at 10:57 am

I watched GOOD TIMES during the 70 ‘s and am watching them at present nightly. I like the episodes with John Amos because he gives a POSITIVE image having a FATHER in the household. FLORDIA portrays the STRONG mother, a role Black women have always had to be in order to keep their families together. It’s sad that WHITE PEOPLE can’t ACCEPT Black families having the same goals for family life as their own. JJ was funny, but Black children know they have to prepare themselves for life. It’s NOT all about fun and games.

16. John April 14, 2014 at 1:31 am

I came across this site in a totally roundabout way. As a white boy growing up in the seventies in a relatively affluent neighborhood, I can tell you that this show profoundly impacted my growth and development.

Good Times was a GREAT show at first…it degenerated a bit but what show doesn’t? Anyone who thinks this was just another stupid comedy doesn’t get it.

Wow there were TONS of good shows in that era…All in the Family, Bob Newhart, MASH…dozens more. Since this site obviously focuses on Black issues I’ll give you my opinion (in case you care) about the “Black” shows from that era and later.

I liked Sanford and Son too but I watch it now and find it mostly silly.

The Jeffersons started strong but I never bought the premise. Before long it degenerated into something almost meaningless. (Do you remember the episode about the “George Jefferson Museum”? Terrible! Almost like a cartoon!)

What’s Happening was harmless fun but it wasn’t devoid of content. The main character (was it Roger?) was a positive role model for any kid of any ethnicity.

The Cosby Show…meh.

I wasn’t old enough to have ever seen Julia.

It’s a shame that IMO the Black role on TV hasn’t grown more than it has.

As for the lyric it always sounded to me like “hangin’ in a chow line” but I too read somewhere that it was actually “hangin’ and ‘a jivin.’”

17. mike April 20, 2014 at 1:01 pm

this was a situation COMEDY, with I think all positive role models.JJ was a comedian on a sitcom who was an exceptional artitist not just a good one. He did not sell drugs or hang in a gang,but had a great job when he was grown graduated from highschool, and wore a suit to work. We tend to overlook the positive for the negative.Yes he said funny things on a comedy show(duhh) I still saw a different career out instead of the stereotypes that were forced down our throats.Take another look at JJand you can see something more than a buffoon.#positive overnegative

18. ireke Amoji April 23, 2014 at 6:12 am

I can’t forget that scene when”Mad Dog”,a gang leader comes to JJ’s home and and has this exchange with Thelma.He asks her her name and when she tells him,he scoffs and quips “Thelma?” (lol),what kinda a name is that?” To which she replies”Well,when I was born, my Momma took one look at me and called me “Thelma”,just as when you were born,yo Momma took one look at you and called you “Mad Dog!”. Lol,eternal lines.AWESOME show,lit up my growing years in Lagos,Nigeria,in the 1970′s!

19. djizz April 25, 2014 at 4:00 pm

Seriously. This show was a 70′s dramedy. About a black family’s life in the ghetto. There were many moments where you laughed and cried. But it was entertaining. The problem was with the producers: this family was never going to prosper and move up. But that was the shows premise: ghetto life. I enjoyed seeing a 2 parent black family. The way the father provided and protected his family. To me the demeaning part wasn’t JJ’s character or silliness but how they kept the black head of household character down and constantly struggling. I still watch today, laughing and crying. You can see the dramatic changes after James died yet the show hung on for a few more years. …

20. john Rhodes April 30, 2014 at 11:46 pm

I think there were several reasons why ratings went down. When John Amos left the show that was one of the main reasons. JJ was funny and made us all laugh. It wouldn’t have been much of a show if everyone was serious and not cracking jokes. When Penny was added I felt that brought the ratings up. When Florida was not in the show, that was a downfall. Every show has a point when the writers can’t come up with new skits.

21. lashun fisher May 1, 2014 at 9:39 am

I always understood JJ’s character to be that of comedy relief in light of a situation that was supposed to be sad and depressing. I seriously don’t think the show would have been as successful had that character not been introduced..Im from the inner city and was raised in lower class society and it’s not all gloom and tears..there are some very hilarious characters that i knew personally growing up that probably werent all that book smart but was funny as heck and was major talented in other areas..I don’t know why people would be offended by this role..The Cosbys unfortunately do not represent the masses where minorities are concerned..and yes im also a big fan of the Cosby Show as well..

22. Eugene May 2, 2014 at 10:06 pm

The show might have been for Florida ,but her chrachter was overshadowed by James & then JJ.Once the strong male lead left the show was doom.

23. Is Herpes Miracle a Scam May 17, 2014 at 4:19 am

I am a plugin designer for the wordpress platform. We have crafted a
    plugin which is able to gather web browsers email addresses to your database without having their intervention. I
    am also looking to find beta testers and also, since you are getting huge sums of web site traffic, I am planning on you and
    the website. You are intrigued?

24. google.com June 21, 2014 at 12:14 am

If you want to improve your experience just keep visiting this web site and be updated with the
    hottest information posted here.

25. megapolis hack June 22, 2014 at 2:20 am

My brother recommended I may like this website.
    He was totally right. This submit truly made my day.

You can not imagine just how much time I had
    spent for this information! Thank you!

26. Religious Organization in Latah June 25, 2014 at 1:44 pm

Hi friends, nice article and fastidious urging commented at this place,
    I am actually enjoying by these.

27. The truth! June 30, 2014 at 11:06 am

The show was great. I remember staying up with my family just to watch it. It dealt with real life situations. James was the man of the house. He always wanted to work and take care of his responsibility. No drug selling, gang banging or foolish behavior was allowed in the house. A strong figure for his sons and daughter. Flo respected his role and he gave it back to her. Living in those conditions/the worst projects in the country, the show displayed high morals and unity among the family. Education was also the “KEY”! Today, there no show on TV for Black folks that display what “Good Times ” was about. Yes, we were lucky we had them. Good Times.