Tisha Campbell-Martin Battles With Life Threatening Disease

by Dr. Boyce Watkins, Your Black World

Forgive me for generalizing, but if you’re black, you probably love Tisha Campbell-Martin.   Campbell-Martin is best-known for her role in the hit TV show “Martin” in the 1990s (or pronounced “Mar-innnn” for the ebonically-challenged).  Tisha was also the star in movies like House Party and School Daze.   As pretty as the day is long, Tisha has been entertaining America for at least two decades.

Sadly, Tisha has been diagnosed with Stage 2 Sarcoidosis, an inflammation of the organs, which is the same disease that killed the late Bernie Mac.  Death can occur from complications in the lung’s, heart or brain, according to experts.  BlackDoctor.org says that the disease is 10 times more common in African Americans than whites and twice as likely in black females than males.

“[Being in good] health is really important to me. Right now, I’m [battling] a genetic lung disorder called sarcoidosis, which can go into remission. I’m in Stage II and I’m trying to reverse it,” Campbell-Martin told Essence Magazine. “I’ve only got one body and I really want to take care of it by working out and eating right.”

I remember first experiencing the brilliance and talent of Tisha Campbell-Martin when she sang on the movie “Little Shop of Horrors.”   Reflecting on that film, it’s clear that she (along with Tichina Arnold) was trained to be a threat in multiple styles of entertainment.  She attended Newark Arts High School and stands with the great Whitney Houston as one of the prides of the state of New Jersey.

I was sad to read that things were not all that happy behind the scenes on the tv show, “Martin.”  In 1996, Campbell-Martin sued Lawrence for sexual harassment.  The suit was settled so the crew could shoot the last three episodes of the television show.  Campbell-Martin agreed to appear on the show, as long as she was not forced to conduct scenes with Martin Lawrence himself.

Perhaps that explains why the show won’t be having a reunion anytime soon.

Without regard to the issues behind-the-scenes, Campbell-Martin is one of the most talented black female performers in America, and I am sure she’s going to pull through this with flying colors.  Good luck Tisha, (in my best Martin voice) we luuh you gurrrl.

Dr. Boyce Watkins is a professor at Syracuse University and founder of the Your Black World Coalition. To have Dr. Boyce commentary delivered to your email, please click here.

53 Responses to Tisha Campbell-Martin Battles With Life Threatening Disease

1. Olin Ross February 22, 2012 at 9:28 am

We must pray for her…..

2. Lady T February 22, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Heal her body in the mighty name of Jesus and strengthen the family around her!!

3. Greg February 22, 2012 at 4:39 pm

My prayers are her in her hour of need, may she get completely well and return to her beautiful self she once was, God Bless her.

4. Mary February 22, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Isaiah 53:5 says, But He ( Jesus ) was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; the chastisment for our peace was upon Him, and by His stripes we Are Healed. HOLD ON TO HIS WORD……

5. Ron February 22, 2012 at 4:56 pm

It is SO refreshing to read so many prayers send in Jesus’ name! May the Lord God restore her health and share her testimony with many, in Jesus’ name.

6. blkgalusa February 22, 2012 at 5:32 pm

God bless her and I am also praying for a complete healing…Nothing is impossible with God.

7. Rose February 22, 2012 at 6:47 pm

I will pray and solicit prayers for her. My family experienced this horrible with my younger brother. He battled it for over 12 years and passed at age 47 a few weeks after Bernie. It’s a tricky disease.

8. Susan Harris February 22, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Take all your cares to Jesus. I too HAD sarcoidosis
    Of the lungs, over 30 years ago. I had never
    Heard of it or even knew what it was.i was sent
    To a respiratory specialist and after many test
    It was confirmed . I was offered a steroid
    And was told to take that because it would
    Help with the pain.i refused the medication
    Because it was only to help the pain. They offer
    Me no other option, so I turned to the only
    hope I had, Jesus! Yes he healed me.I went
    Through many days and night of pain, but
    I waited on Him to heal me. There was a
    time I said to my self, if the Lord took me
    it would be ok.He healed me and I took test
    Every six months for 2 years to be sure it was
    gone.God healed me He can do the same
    for you. I will keep you in prayer.By Jesus
    stripes you are healed!God Bless Susan Harris

9. Charles February 22, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Doctor,I first send my love and prayers to Tisha and her family.You there have been conversations that
    we as a people need to request our president do something about the reemergence of jim crow by
    releasing prisoners who are in jail on non violent drug charges, and that would also include those who
    have a third strike.Also their citizenship rights be restored and the stigma of felon following them
    around for the rest of their lives is put to rest.I am 63 years old and i have seen and experienced almost
    every form of racism imaginable,but this one has the potential to devistate our people like nothing i
    have seen in my lifetime.I also know that with this medium of communication we can do something
    about it and reverse this trend of putting our people in prison for profit.I would like everyone to join
    me in spreading so that our president can act on this request.I also would pray that not just my
    people educate themselves ,but every citizen of this country realize that we are so very close to
    losing most if not all of our civil liberties that it is going to take a united voice of the people to bring
    our country to a real sense of humanity.Again ,my deepest love and appreciation goes to Tisha and
    her family…………..God bless you all,and spread the word.We can make it happen.

• L. Hill April 3, 2014 at 5:43 pm

What the what? This ain’t the forum. Tisha Martin-Campbell’s health, that is the issue. Find the appropriate place to post your agenda.

10. Bettye Scott February 22, 2012 at 10:58 pm

My heart goes out to Tish Campbell. I lost my son on December 28, 2011 to “Cardiac Sarcoidosis”,
    this was the most shocking and heartbreaking experience in my life. We did not know that he even had a health problem. You are very fortunate to have discovered it in time to do something about it. My son leaves his wife and two small children along with other family members to grieve over losing him. Tish, please take care of yourself not only for you but for your loved ones as well.

11. KARL L. BURRELL February 23, 2012 at 1:08 am

GOOD LUCK AND I PRAY FOR A SPEEDY RECOVERY!

12. Jeff February 23, 2012 at 2:07 am

She is healed already in jesus name. God bless Mrs. Tisha

13. Trina February 23, 2012 at 2:23 am

I’ve been diagnosed with sarcoidosis for about the past 12 years. It was rough with my lungs and lymph nodes for about 2 years. In fact, the doctors first thought I had lymphoma. By the grace of God, although it was tough to deal with initially, I’ve been in remission for about the last 8 years and sometimes I forget I have it. Anything is possible and it is not fatal for everyone who has it. Pray, put God first, and stay proactive about your health.

14. rpbt February 23, 2012 at 5:14 am

I just want to add my prayers to others who are praying for Tisha Campbell Martin.
    She has been a long time favorite of mine. I pray that God will give her the strength
    that she needs to fight this deadly disease and that the will trust Him fully through-
    out this ordeal. God is always in control of our needs and concerns.
    It always helps to know that He has specific plans for each of our lives and is faithful to
    see us through.
    God bless Tisha, in the name of our Lord, His Son Jesus Christ!
    Amen

15. Rose February 23, 2012 at 6:14 am

I will definitely add her name to my prayer list. May the true God and Jesus be with her and her family.

16. E. Jacqueline Irons February 23, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Tisha, girl, leave it in the hands of the Lord, Jesus Christ to heal you. He loves you so much; just tell Him that you cannot make it on your own, and he will answer. This disease sometimes comes and goes away. You’ve got to be the sweetest girl on TV. You still make me laugh. You are a natural. I still watch your shows. Love you, girl.

17. Tess February 24, 2012 at 2:13 am

She’s young and strong. I pray with the good Lord’s help and loving from all her fans that she stays good and healthy and keeps on loving life with us!

18. linda February 25, 2012 at 3:21 am

loved her on ‘martin’ and ‘my wife and kids’. i will keep tisha in my prayers. she is on the right track and taking care of her body. i have every hope that she can beat this thing with God’s help and her outlook.

19. Connie February 26, 2012 at 1:28 am

God bless you and heal you in Jesus name.

20. Linda Morris February 27, 2012 at 9:45 pm

I was diagnosed with sarcoidosis in 2003. The disease can be fatal but it is manageable. Presently I am in remission. Keep the faith, watch your diet, take your medication and stay prayerful.

21. Renee February 27, 2012 at 11:31 pm

I have always liked her. I only wish for the best for Tisha. Such a sweetheart and good soul who have took care of so many people in her life. I saw her Lifetime Intimate portrait and that’s when I gain a whole new level of respect for her. We have so much in common and she is so beautiful inside and out. I will keep her in my prayers.

22. Sharon Anthony February 28, 2012 at 1:14 am

May her doctor’s be blessed with the talent and ability to heal her. May the Lord watch over her, keep her comfortable, and give her peace.

23. George February 28, 2012 at 3:52 am

Life so much stinks….take me home now Lord!!!

24. Gwen Coleman February 28, 2012 at 1:58 pm

I completely understand this disease, I have suffered with it for over 19 years. Thank God for life!

25. Rhonda February 28, 2012 at 3:10 pm

I have that too. God can do miracles and I’m an example of it. Keep praying, meditating on the goodness of God. That’s key and watch God do what only God can do. I pray for healing, inside out. Amen.

26. Nyzia Eeasterling February 29, 2012 at 2:15 am

Tisha you are not alone. I pray for you daily! I too am a 15yr survivor of neurological sarcoidosis. I am 35 yrs old. I have been blind,mute,immoble at times to but I am back and I am still alive. I suffer a lot but I have a 6yr old girl too live for so my fight is on. Pain racks my body but God is a healer! I am claiming my cure and yours. Love ya!

27. liz March 8, 2012 at 5:57 pm

lean on the Lord he’s the only one that can change things.

28. Pingback: {Sarcoidosis Treatment|How to cure sarcoidosis|Can sarcoidosis be cured|Cure for sarcoidosis|Cure sarcoidosis|How to treat sarcoidosis|Natural cure for sarcoidosis|Natural cures for sarcoidosis|Natural remedies for sarcoidosis|Natural renedy for sarcoidos

29. Pingback: {Sarcoidosis Treatment|How to cure sarcoidosis|Can sarcoidosis be cured|Cure for sarcoidosis|Cure sarcoidosis|How to treat sarcoidosis|Natural cure for sarcoidosis|Natural cures for sarcoidosis|Natural remedies for sarcoidosis|Natural renedy for sarcoidos

30. Pingback: {Sarcoidosis Treatment|How to cure sarcoidosis|Can sarcoidosis be cured|Cure for sarcoidosis|Cure sarcoidosis|How to treat sarcoidosis|Natural cure for sarcoidosis|Natural cures for sarcoidosis|Natural remedies for sarcoidosis|Natural renedy for sarcoidos

31. William Cain March 31, 2012 at 4:58 pm

God please continue to give her good health and if your will heal her completely in Jesus’ name. May God bless her and her family. But also heal others with this same disease we haven’t heard of. In Jesus’ name Amen.

32. sann March 31, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Tisha has my prayers and I pray that she be healed. i wish her all the best.

33. Nyladyj April 1, 2012 at 4:46 pm

You are in my prayers Tisha. I pray that God will restore your health completely, and by doing so, you and all of us will give Him ALL of the glory and all of the PRAISE. God bless.

34. TIMM DAWG April 2, 2012 at 12:50 pm

To the lovely Ms. Campbell-Martin, I too suffer from this dreadful & wicked disease. I count myself as a survivor & I believe that you can do the same. I was diagnosed in 2002. Sarcoidosis is a silent yet ugly disease. It can potentially affect every part of your body. Personally I’ve had skin lesions, bone weakness that have led to 3 fractures along with unbearable joint pain. However I still function on a daily basis working construction as a husband and father and little league coach. All while suffering from this disease and you can too. Famous people have suffered from this dreadful disease. Reggie White former Super Bowl MVP passed away from sarcoidosis along with comedian Bernie Mac. The daughter of Bill Russell the Celtic great also has sarcoid. However, Mr. Russell supports something known as The Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research, a group dedicated to finding a cure for the disease. Please any and all who may be affected by this vicious & wicked disease visit their website – Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research – and if you like please make a contribution to help end this silent killer.

35. Donia J, Turner April 4, 2012 at 3:54 pm

I just want to say that I have already asked God to heal you. So how bout we just count it done in Jesus name…Amen

36. web hosting August 5, 2013 at 12:34 am

}

37. LaDetria September 4, 2013 at 12:35 pm

God Bless U Tisha and Ur family because without prayer, family, and a good team of doctors. I wouldn’t be here yes it was a long hard battle, but without them and GOD I wouldn’t be here to tell my story. 10 yrs ago I walked in the hospital, 2 hrs later I was paralyze from the neck down. I spent 60 days in there, they stuck me every where they could before I was diagnosed with Neuro sarcadosis. GOD is able because he brought through all that. I’m a walking, talking miracle. God Bless U Tisha, keep the faith and trust and believe miracles do exist

38. martin October 15, 2013 at 7:13 pm

My heart goes out to you (Gina) Tisha Campbell you are such an inspiring successful actor and I wish you the best. We are all faced with trials and tribulations at some point in our lives, whether it be our health, finances etc. But keeping FAITH and TRUST in the Almighty GOD he will get you through this. I will keep you in my prayers. Much Love and Peace to you and your family!!

39. Gerard January 28, 2014 at 4:26 pm

It’s nice that all you send out hope and prayers for her,but as you can clearly see,your god/jesus simply does not care enough to heal her,or billions before her who suffer with disease,god/jesus is a delusional way we have to put our problems and selfishly others in a higher power’s hands we believe exist,nothing more nothing less,grow up people. No god/jesus. Man created this delusional infection and man/women where stupid enough to believe in what can’t and never will be proven. When was the last time your god has done anything for man kind of any sorts…it’s okay ill wait…nothing….sounds about right. Now im going to offer her something thats not a waste of time,hope…hope for her health and wellbeing