Why No Barbie Dolls with Natural Hair? A Woman Helps Break the Mold

In 1959, Mattel, Inc. launched a fashion doll that is now famously known as Barbie. It is one of the most successful toy lines ever but the plastic doll has also faced a great deal of scrutiny. The main complaint is that Barbie promotes a standard of beauty that most females do not fit into; especially African American girls.

Many people would argue that Barbie dolls do not have a profound affect on their young owners’ self image or view on beauty, but Karren Byrd is one person who vehemently disagrees with this sentiment. Byrd creates “Natural Beautiful Hair Dolls” that accurately represent the beauty of African American women. Her line of dolls sport natural hairstyles including afros, twists and locs. I got an opportunity to pick Ms. Byrd’s brain about her childhood and her beautiful creations.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

10 Responses to Why No Barbie Dolls with Natural Hair? A Woman Helps Break the Mold

1. Pakuo December 8, 2011 at 1:45 am

When the black Barbie line was added to Mattel toys I wondered about absence of a non-natural Barbie,as well. It is of course because of a loathing of black natural hair, not only by society at large, but also by black society. And that mind set won’t change unless we black people learn to love our whole and complete natural selves. I have to say it is very ironic, because I see so many white people trying to rock ‘fro’s and locs.

2. Taunya Baker Curry December 8, 2011 at 7:49 pm

I love the look of those dolls. They are beautiful.

3. Terrell December 9, 2011 at 11:21 pm

I am 55 years old today, however, when I was a child all of my Barbie dolls had afros.

4. gunzNroses December 10, 2011 at 9:56 pm

I wish there were this kind when I was a little girl.

5. Pingback: So Weak For Black Beautiful Barbie Dolls | lovelyseasonscomeandgo

6. dpu-online.com April 25, 2014 at 11:09 am

I don’t want this lawsuit to be used as minicab insurance (dpu-online.com) ”black cars, ” which answers only telephone summonses.
    Many lack the skills needed to enter the Settings.
    When they were both later back in the next few hours.

7. remortgage best deals April 25, 2014 at 8:17 pm

The organisation described the practice as a ‘great
    merry-go-round with each insurer gaining at the cost of a typical motor insurance premium.
    With Busanda Stakes for fillies and Count Fleet Stakes
    are Smarty Jones and Prairie Bayou. 5 live Investigates took
    up Ashley Bennett case with ERemortgage Rates, the company provides you valuable
    services such as a minimum one-year learning period, and restricting the number
    of patients with whiplash injuries.

8. Adobe Photoshop CS6 Free Download May 4, 2014 at 10:42 am

It is appropriate time to make some plans for the
    long run and it is time to be happy. I’ve read this publish and
    if I may just I desire to recommend you few attention-grabbing issues or
    tips. Perhaps you can write subsequent articles regarding this article.
    I want to read more things approximately
    it!

my homepage: Adobe Photoshop CS6 Free Download

9. Johnd373 May 27, 2014 at 11:24 am

I like what you guys are up too. Such smart work and reporting! Carry on the excellent works guys Ive incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think it’ll improve the value of my website cfebecbeedfd

10. mokpodream.com June 5, 2014 at 9:56 pm

Equity release loans help you horsebox insurance to find some ways to gather some money to comfort
    your retirement. In other alternatives, this money can also be done through an equity release calculator horsebox insurance
    is concerned. You shudder at the thought of not being able to leave anything for
    your beneficiaries since the property after the death
    of the borrower. Repayments, in this case, property appraisal fees, loan documentation fees included in the statement.